It is no longer news that health and safety are essential in the oil and gas industry. In other words, safety is the heart of the oil and gas business. Although the industry had been dealing with health and safety risks and serious incidents have been reduced, accidents still occur.
That’s because the activities of the industry- exploration, production, processing, refining and marketing and distribution of the oil and gas-related products may result in severe injuries or illness. In addition, the industry involves a massive workforce and use hazardous machines and equipment.
So ensuring the safety of the workforce and community in which oil and gas companies operate continue to be an important priority in the oil and gas industry.
Whether you are a safety manager, safety supervisor or simply professional looking to enhance your safety knowledge, you will find this article useful.
Now that you know why health, safety and environment is important in the oil and gas industry it is also very important you understand different types of hazards in the oil and gas industry.
Here are different types of oil and gas hazards
- Hazards related to buried oil and gas pipeline
- Hazardous chemical related to lubricants oil and other petroleum products
- Radioactive hazards. These hazards occur when welders take x-rays of the pipe to increase the integrity of the pipe and ensure welds are safe.
- Hazards related to high oil and gas pressure from the reservoir or inside pipes.
Now that you are familiar with different types of the oil and gas hazards, let’s see how we can control hazards.
Two ways to ensure safety in the industry are.
- Education and Training. Since the oil and gas sector is the most hazard jobs in the world, It is essential for the safety managers and safety supervisors to identify and communicate hazards controls before work starts on site. Training employees on Safety is a great way to control hazards in the industry.
- Personal protective equipment: Wearing personal protective equipment is a great way to control these hazards. Ensure employees are equipped with personal protective equipment. Some jobs like welding need specific protective equipment such as face masks.